B2C sales – business-to-consumer sales are defined as businesses or transactions carried out directly between a company and the consumers who are the end-users of its products or services.
Highlights of B2C sales
1) Interaction with average consumers:
- B2C consumers tend to make purchases based on how a brand creates an emotional connection.
- Therefore, most B2C communications tend to appeal to the personal wishes and value systems of the consumer.
- Unlike B2B, B2C sales decisions are usually making by one or two people. When a consumer buys B2C goods like food, cell phones, cars, etc., it is not about what it can do for me, but about how it makes them feel.
- It is the reason why emotion-driven or emotion-triggering marketing campaigns are commonly executed in the B2C space.
- Hence, marketing and advertising decision-makers spend most of their budgets on campaigns based on this attribute, from social media to television network ads.
2) Shorter sales cycle:
- The B2C sales cycle is comparatively much shorter than the B2B sales cycle mainly due to 1-2 decision-makers and secondly due to lower prices.
- B2C sales rely more on marketing to spread brand awareness and improve product visibility to attract the customer.
- Due to the transactional nature of the relationship, one does not have to waste time building a relationship with the client.
3) Business relationship:
- B2C purchases are more likely to be one-time transactions or transactions with more limited time frames.
- B2C selling is personal, and quite often, the customer has checked the product online and knows which brands to choose.
- Therefore, a salesperson only has to convince the customer that it is the best for them and that you facilitate their choice.
- Thus, the business relationship is short, as customer preferences and loyalties may change over some time.
4) Size of the potential customer pool:
- The size of the potential customer pool in B2C is much larger comparing to B2B. Ex: the number of people who buy mobiles can reach lakhs.
- Therefore, an aggressive marketing campaign highlighting the features / USPs of a particular mobile phone brand can turn the tide in your favor.
- People’s buying decision is often influencing by advertising and brand campaigns.
- Word of mouth and positive reviews also help attract customers for whom buying a particular product is more of an emotional decision.